Prep boys hockey: Flaherty resigns as Marshall coach

After taking this past season off as he recovered from a battle with throat cancer, Brendan Flaherty on Sunday resigned as Duluth Marshall boys hockey coach.
Marshall School head coach Brendan Flaherty (left) talks with his stepson Kasey Yoder, the head coach for Orono, after a game at Mars Lakeview Arena in Duluth in 2014. (file / News Tribune)
Marshall School head coach Brendan Flaherty (left) talks with his stepson Kasey Yoder, the head coach for Orono, after a game at Mars Lakeview Arena in Duluth in 2014. (file / News Tribune)

After taking this past season off as he recovered from a battle with throat cancer, Brendan Flaherty on Sunday resigned as Duluth Marshall boys hockey coach.

In his resignation letter to the school's athletic director, Kevin Snyder, Flaherty wrote: "I did not make this decision easily or happily. I had hoped to be ready to coach the Hilltoppers when our players begin practice in November, and still do. But I can't guarantee the pace of my recovery."

Flaherty led the Hilltoppers for 20-plus seasons, seven of which resulted in state tournament appearances. Marshall reached three straight Class A title games from 2006-08, finishing runner-up each time.

In his absence, Bill Owens, previously an assistant under Flaherty, coached the Hilltoppers on an interim basis in 2018-19.

Flaherty was diagnosed with the throat cancer last April and had hoped to return to the Marshall bench. In November, he was declared cancer-free.

In his letter, Flaherty wrote, "I have been honored to devote my life to hockey."